Are you a talented communicator with a passion for crafting compelling stories and driving engagement? We are seeking a dynamic Communications Coordinator to join our team at Music Maker Foundation and take charge of our editorial content strategy across all platforms. As the Communications Coordinator, you will have the opportunity to shape our organization’s narrative, enhance our digital presence, and contribute to our mission of tending the roots of American music. If you’re ready to make a difference through powerful storytelling and you have a passion for American music and Southern culture, this is the role for you.
This is a full-time position with excellent benefits. The anticipated schedule is four days of on-site work in our office in Hillsborough, NC each week. Occasional weekend work is required for special events and travel. There is potential for national travel to meet with funders and participate in mission-based events.
Music Maker Foundation welcomes everyone. We strongly encourage applications from individuals who identify as Black, Indigenous, Latino, Asian, or as people of color (BIPOC), as well as those from marginalized backgrounds related to gender, sexual orientation, ability, and class.
About Hiring Organization:
For almost 30 years, Music Maker Foundation has tended the roots of American music as a 501c3 nonprofit organization.
Music Maker Foundation seeks out the carriers of America’s oldest roots music traditions. We develop long-term relationships with senior artists who are knowledgeable and show excellence in those traditions.
Our programs serve the most vulnerable musicians – those marginalized by age, poverty, race, gender, – because these are the artists least likely to have the resources to share their musical talents with the world. Since 1994, we have served over 500 musicians whose work spans the entire history of American music: blues, gospel, folk, singer-songwriter, Appalachian string band and Native American.
Our primary focus is on musicians 55 years and older. We provide financial grants to artists living in poverty or facing a crisis. We also work with emerging musicians who want to carry their traditions forward.
Music Maker’s three programs work in concert to sustain the health and creativity of the musicians we serve while educating Americans about the richness of our nation’s culture.
To ensure that the day-to-day needs of the most vulnerable artists are met, we provide grants and social services to musicians who are in crisis or who live in chronic poverty.
To help our artists build their careers, income, and skills through touring, we book shows and provide professional development.
DOCUMENTATION & EDUCATION
To ensure that American roots music is always accessible to current and future generations, we document these artists through audio, video recordings and still photography.
About the Position: Communications Coordinator
Editorial Content Across All Platforms. Including Digital
• Create editorial content and manage content creation from other contributors
o Schedule and manage content creation
o Collect and edit collateral components (photos, audio, writings)
• Create and manage digital communication strategy to further our educational mission and sustain the organization across all platforms including our website, e-newsletter, and social media (Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube)
• Write short-form and long-form articles for publication on the website, annual report, and social media platforms
• Regularly conduct interviews with artists for artist pages and content creation
• Create and edit video content for the website and social media platforms
• Work with Development Coordinator to plan donor and public communications strategy and contact calendar
• Manage social media accounts
o Create and update content
o Design and implement social media strategy, schedule promotions
Media & Public Relations
• Responsible for all collateral delivery and correspondence with publicists and outside media contacts
• Seek and collaboratively develop new strategies for online publicity and advertising
• Create and distribute press releases to media contacts, highlighting album releases, organizational initiatives, and events
• Use media monitoring tools to stay up-to-date to spread the word about our work and our artists’ work online
• Assist Executive Director and Program Manager as needed with Broadcast Media content creation
• Manage and work with outside technology and content consultants to maintain and add to the website
• Increase viewership and interaction with website visitors
o Monitor and analyze website activity
• Build new pages to support documentation, programming, and fundraising initiatives
• Build brand awareness and our online presence by managing our Google Advertising accounts
• Implement promotional campaigns for new products and add products to the online store
• Assist in outreach programs, events, and fundraising initiatives
• Create video content for artists and media
• Assist with the creation and touring of Music Maker exhibits
• Oversee maintenance of photographic and audio archive
• General Office Duties – answer telephones, distribute messages, maintain the printer
Salary and Benefits
• Annual salary: $45,000 to $55,000 per year, depending on the applicant’s qualifications
• Company-paid (100%) health insurance
• Paid vacation, holidays and sick leave
• A work location near the vibrant Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area in central North Carolina
• Bachelor’s degree. Preferred areas of study: Journalism, Folklore Studies, Media and Communications, American Studies
• At least three to five years professional work experience in the field of communications, journalism or folklore
• Exemplary writing skills
• Demonstrated knowledge of and passion for American roots music and Southern culture
• Strong technical skills and a demonstrated ability to use technology for storytelling in a rich and compelling way.
To apply, please email Denise Duffy at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please attach your resume and a cover letter stating why you are interested in and qualified for the position. Please note that we will be accepting applications immediately, with rolling interviews beginning the week of July 18th. Please be patient if it takes us a few weeks to respond to your application.
Join us at Music Maker Foundation and help amplify the impact of our mission through engaging content creation.