Now Hiring: Communications Coordinator
If you have a passion for digital storytelling and American roots music – this could be your dream job.
Position: Communications Coordinator
Music Maker Foundation has been supporting senior blues, gospel, string band and folk musicians for more than 25 years. Join our team to amplify the voices of marginalized musicians, help them reach new audiences and educate Americans about their cultural heritage.
The Communications Coordinator is a full-time position with benefits. On site work in our office in Hillsborough, NC, occasional remote work possible and some travel required.
Editorial Content Across All Platforms, Including Digital
- Create editorial content and manage content creation from other contributors.
- Create and manage digital communication strategy to further our educational mission and sustain the organization across all platforms including our websites, e-newsletter and social media s (facebook, instagram and twitter)
- Write articles for publication on website, annual report and social media platforms. Conduct interviews as needed
- Create and edit video content for website and social media platforms including youtube and Instagram
- Seek out and manage additional freelance writers as needed for digital and print platforms
- Work with Development Coordinator to plan donor and public communications strategy and contact calendar
- Manage social media accounts:
- Create and update content
- Maintain social media presence and respond to friends
- Design and implement social media promotions
Media & Public Relations
- Responsible for all collateral delivery and correspondence with publicists and outside media contacts.
- Seek and collaboratively develop new strategies for online publicity and advertising
- Assist Executive Director and Program Manager as needed with Broadcast Media content creation.
- Increase viewership and interaction with website visitors
- Monitor and analyze website activity
- Build new pages to support storytelling, programming and fundraising initiatives
- Implement promotional campaigns for new products and add products to web store
- Assist in outreach programs, events and fundraising initiatives
- Create video content for artists and media
- Assist with creation and touring of Music Maker exhibits
- Oversee maintenance of photographic and audio archive
- General Office Duties – answer telephones, distribute messages, maintain printer
Salary and Benefits
- Annual salary: $50,000-$52,000 per year, depending on the applicant’s qualifications
- SIMPLE IRA plan with matching company contributions
- Company-paid (100%) health insurance
- Paid vacation, holidays and sick leave
- A work location near the vibrant Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area in central North Carolina
- Music Maker cannot pay for relocation expenses.
- Bachelor’s degree – Preferred areas of study: Journalism, Film, Folklore Studies, Media and Communications, American Studies
- Two to five years professional work experience in the field of communications, film, journalism or folklore
- Exemplary writing skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of and passion for American roots music and Southern culture
- Strong technical skills and a demonstrated ability to use technology for storytelling in a rich and compelling way
To apply, please email Denise Duffy at firstname.lastname@example.org and put your name and “applying for Communications Coordinator” in the subject line. Please attach your resume and a cover letter stating why you are interested in and qualified for the position. Please note that we will be accepting applicants throughout the month of September and possibly into October before we begin interviews, so please be patient if it takes us a few weeks to respond to your application.