February 1st, 2019 | Blue Muse | Album Release
Blue Muse is a musical testament to the 25 year history of the Music Maker Relief Foundation and its partner artists. The album features 21 tracks, most of which were recorded by Music Maker founder Timothy Duffy, that capture the infinite complexity of Traditional American Music. Blue Muse artfully places some of the most important musicians you’ve never heard alongside rockstars and longtime Music Maker supporters Taj Mahal, Eric Clapton, and Dom Flemons.
From the hill-country blues of North Mississippi native Willie Farmer to the inspired gospel of southern Georgia’s Theotis Taylor, the variety of genres included in Blue Muse reveals Music Maker’s deep commitment to sustaining the roots music traditions of the South.
Old favorites like Guitar Gabriel and Captain Luke are perfectly at home next to the RnB-grooves of Robert Finley and the soulful balladry of Ironing Board Sam.
The Piedmont blues are represented here, too, on tracks like Algia Mae Hinton’s and “Snap Your Fingers” and John Dee Holeman’s “Hambone.” Folk and country traditions aren’t left out either with Dave McGrew’s “D.O.C. Man” and “Cabbage Man” by Sam Frazier, Jr.
Blue Muse is a remarkable retrospective on a quarter-century of work done by the Music Maker Relief Foundation to sustain and preserve the America’s roots music traditions and serves as musical companion Blue Muse: Timothy Duffy’s Southern Photographs, published by UNC Press, available February 25th, 2019, and accompanying an exhibition organized by the New Orleans Museum of Art, on view April 25th – July 28th, 2019.
- La Collegiale – The Grotto Sessions (Guitar Gabriel, Ironing Board Sam, Etta Baker, Captain Luke, Alabama Slim, Neal Pattman)
- Spike Driver Blues – Taj Mahal
- Old Black Buck – Captain Luke
- Route 66 – Eddie Tigner
- I Got The Blues – Alabama Slim
- Age Don’t Mean A Thing – Robert Finley
- Polly Put The Kettle On – Dom Flemons
- Hambone – John Dee Holeman
- Snap Your Fingers – Algia Mae Hinton
- I am the Lightning – Willie Farmer
- D.O.C. Man – Dave McGrew
- Sweet Valentine – Martha Spencer & Kelley Breiding
- I Wanna Boogie – Boot Hanks w/ Dom Flemons
- Mississippi Blues – Eric Clapton w/ Tim Duffy
- Landlord Blues – Guitar Gabriel
- Widow Woman – Drink Small
- Cabbage Man – Sam Frazier, Jr.
- Sing It Louder – Cary Morin
- Loose Diamonds – Ironing Board Sam
- I Know I’ve Been Changed – The Branchettes
- Something Within Me – Theotis Taylor